The Kiss…

November 3rd, 2010

I slowly became enthralled with this memoir, which for me in the beginning I doubted her details and her often bias from her broken mindset and broken home. When reading a memoir I often marvel at the detail of recollection and wonder if this is the authors affect of making the past detailed or is it a false recollection and attempt at making ones life literary and appeasing. Making these little moments stand out. Often our own little moments stand out to us in our own way so there could be truth. At first I could not acknowledge her differences that she often alluded to with growing up without a father and being abandoned by her mother. I refused to empathisize until further into her memoir I saw how difficult it must have been in not know the other part of her and not feeling loved by her mother. Before reading up tot he inevitable “Kiss” I sensed something sexual lurking within the text whenever she spoke of her father, it was not until the kiss that I saw the image that had been suspected. When her father had kissed her innapropriately I couldnt understand the change. I couldn’t understand his new fascination, and how the lines of love and sex were blurred. How her mother felt that it was her misplaced love for her was troubling, as well to even feel some type of jealousy towards her daughter for a man who was once her lover but is most importantly her daughters father. The role of her grandparents in her life as fill in parents and surrogates to her own shows how her childhood and concepts are shaped as well as distorted by love. It took me some time to paint the picture of her family and I guess as she says her mother was mysterious I could tell within the pages of the text

“We are, all of us, molded and remolded by those who have loved us, and though that love may pass, we remain none the less their work– a work that very likely they do not recognize, and which is never exactly what they intended”

-Francois Mauriac

2 Responses to “The Kiss…”

1. jennylee on November 4, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah, I liked how Harrison chose to write about her family’s history to almost explain how her relationship with them ultimately shaped her, and, I think, still continues to shape her. And thanks for bringing up the epigraph, after finishing the book and going to back to it, I can better understand the connection between Harrison’s story and Mauriac’s quote — that is, how our loved ones un/intentionally mold and remold us. With that in mind, I don’t think Harrison specifically blames anyone for her breakdown…

2. Priest on April 23, 2013 4:27 am

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your website by accident (stumbleupon). I’ve saved as a favorite for later!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS